The BSi just announced the awarding of 7 grants totaling $265,000 in the area of Brain Science Translational Research. These awards support translational research in the neurosciences including research targeted to acute or chronic neurological diseases, psychiatric disorders, and neuropathic or chronic pain.
Translational research is defined as the application of discoveries from basic biomedical research toward the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of human disease, with the ultimate goal of improving public health.
A panel of external and internal investigators scored the 35 applications that were received (twice as many as last year) on the basis of innovation, ability to transform the field and on the formation of new collaborative groups.
Award recipients are:
• Radiosensitization of Malignant Gliomas utilizing siRNA-aptamer chimeras targeting Glioblastoma and Glioma Stem Cell surface markers
Raju R Raval M.D. Dphil, Lawrence R Kleinberg M.D., Theodore L. DeWeese M.D.; Department of Radiation Oncology
• Designing inhibitors against PARP-12 – a member of a novel poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase family subclass
Anthony Kar Lun Leung Ph.D., Jürgen Bosch Ph.D.; Departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
• Therapeutic and Diagnostic Strategies in Oligodendroglioma
Chetan Bettegowda M.D. Ph.D., Bert Vogelstein M.D.; Departments of Neurosurgery and Oncology Departments
• "Pilot assay for protein biomarkers of HIV-associated neurological disorders (HAND)"
Robert J. Cotter Ph.D., Adriana Bora Ph.D.; Departments of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences
• Glutaminase Inhibition as a Novel Immunomodulatory Treatment for inflammatory Neurologic Disease
Diane E Griffin M.D. Ph.D., Sivabalan Manivannan Sc.M.; Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
• Development of dendrimer-based systems for brain drug delivery: applications in an EAE model
Kannan Rangaramanujam Ph.D.; Department of Ophthalmology
• New Multi‐Drug Resistance Pump Inhibitors for Central Nervous System Disease
Martin Pomper M.D. Ph.D., IL Minn Ph.D.; Departments of Radiology and Neurology